Thursday, September 16, 2004

End of an entrepreneur's road

Just been to the funeral of a work acquaintance. He did quite well in business as a bit of an entrepreneur, but had no time for conventions or rules, so I liked him! The little crematorium at Chichester was packed - there were a few readings along the lines of 'I'm still floating around somewhere'', no prayers, bizarrely the singing of 'Morning has broken', a supposed e-mail from the deceased including all his favourite sayings and a reading of the Peter Cook monologue about the man who invented the wheel.
Apart from the sobbing it was all quite nice and friendly. The thing that took me unawares was the very definite feeling that God was there in some tangible way. Now I don't think the deceased had any belief whatsoever in God, but maybe God believed in him? Maybe God was there for the mourners? Maybe he was giving me a nudge, but he was definitely there.
At the end the John Lennon song Imagine was played. That song is, I believe, a very profound expression of the heart of God. I don't think there was supposed to be a separation between God and us. I don't think there was supposed to be a hell. Every time I hear that song I feel a twinge of sadness that it isn't how John Lennon imagined it to be.
When the time comes for my funeral I want the Julie Miller/Emmy Lou Harris song All My Tears Be Washed Away to be played. It starts with "When I die, don't cry for me; in my Father's arms I'll be.." and the rest of it's just as good. The tune's pretty good too.
With all my wittering about church and services and such, it can't be denied that at a time like this people want to gather and mark the occasion with a bit of religion, even if they don't believe in God. Gatherings seem to need a sense of occasion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home