Monday, July 19, 2004

The Nature of the Church

OK, grand title, but what do I mean? I hope this will be a series of posts trying to develop thoughts that have been simmering a while.
This last weekend some friends (including members of my family) took a bunch of teenagers (mostly not church-goers) on a youth camp run by a national organisation for which I have great respect.  They were expected to attend meetings that were designed to present the gospel in a 'talk'. The talk was at the end of a one and a half hour meeting, including two sessions of 'worship', i.e. lots of singing Christian songs. Why ensure that boredom is entrenched before getting to the real point of the whole thing? This made me admit some of the following thoughts....
I begin to think that the church (as it now exists) is an alien sub-culture with a limited life. Where is the justification for owning buildings, arranging meeting after meeting, and concentrating on self-preservation? Some have recognised a social trend and are beginning to investigate others way of being church, leading to such phrases as 'emergent church', 'alt-worship', etc. I have tried to be a part of this but have neither seen nor demonstrated the commitment necessary to make it work. Mostly it leads to putting on a multi-media version of a church service, avoiding the more cringe-worthy singing and patronising lectures. An add-on, or alternative, is usually a discussion-based meeting often focussing on previously taboo subjects, or putting a new slant on traditional topics. This avoids some of the cultural problems with the traditional church but I still have to ask 'So what's the difference?'. In essence it's the same thing re-packaged, in much the same way that churches have tried 'seeker-friendly' services, but taking it a little further and meeting the cultural needs of the instigators.
I have to ask myself 'In what way am I making a real difference in this world?'. The answer is. sadly, none. In seeking a different form of church I suspect I am following a diversion. I found a tv programme outlining the story of William Booth challenging. Many others have made a difference, often with no-one noticing during their lifetime. Right now I am not. Is the answer to give up everything and go somewhere the need is acute, and any help is better than none? Should I sign up to some missionary/aid organisation? Should I get involved with some sort of community work? Maybe, but I suspect that this lies somewhere at the base of my dissatisfaction. I don't think any form of church, alternative or otherwise, will solve this one.
Maybe it's the emphasis that's wrong. Maybe we shouldn't be worrying about meetings, buildings, projects, styles of presentation, etc. Maybe Jesus had something to say about it when he spoke of sacrifice, losing one's life in order to find it, having nowhere to lay his head, not defending himself, not thinking where the next meal's coming from, preferring others, and just simply dying for love.
I've run out of steam; maybe all this is just for me, not for you or the church in general. Let's hope it goes somewhere.

2 Comments:

Blogger LucyRainbow said...

good thoughts peter. I agree with you. As I said on one of my posts, it's just putting a strawberry on top of sour milk.

I love that phrase alien sub culture.

Your thoughts probably will go somewhere. Finding out where is part of the excitement.

Lucy

1:35 pm  
Blogger Gordon said...

Just popped in from something left of barky's. Thanks for these thoughts.

BTW if the Booth programme was on recently you may have see my wife and I at Poplar Salvation Army!!

11:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home