Tuesday, October 26, 2004

What sort of Jesus?

I've been continuing to read McLaren's 'A Generous Orthodoxy' and I like the book more every time I pick it up. I'm trying not to rush it so that some of it sinks in.
A couple of comments stand out. He suggests that if Jesus were to arrive nowadays the 'church' would probably still crucify him. He also suggests that if Jesus were to knock on our door we would consider him an impostor, simply pointing to our 'buddy' Jesus who's already sitting on our sofa drinking our beer, watching our TV and eating our pizza.
These comments in isolation seem designed to inflame, however in context they make sense. Is Christianity all about me, or is it about God, history, and a story of unrequited love? Is salvation all about me, or is it more universally encompassing than that? Is it important to be 'right' or is it more important to love, give and wonder?
I am tempted to ask the question 'Why doesn't God answer prayer?' and answer it with 'Because we might think we were right', but it would be seriously misunderstood. I would expect two responses:
Firstly from those who find it necessary to defend their view that God always answers prayer and one way or another make it my fault.
Secondly from those who take the view that God doesn't care to intervene these days.
Still, it might be fun to see if there's a response...........

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter and Heather King said...

Well, Mark, you obviously have strong views on this as the comment appeared twice!
Anyway, yes, when I've heard of people who 'experience' prayer, i.e. really experience it rather than feel under pressure to pretend that they do, they have been those who have no regard for the material or are so busy sacrificing their lives for others they don't have time to notice that it's unusual. How many denominations or para-church movements have started on the basis of one supposedly answered prayer I wonder.

9:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home