Thursday, September 30, 2004

History by success

First reflection from reading half of chapter 0 of Generous Orthodoxy:
History tends to get written by those who win! I never got on with history at school so I've not thought too much about it, but it's probably true that those who win the battles tend to write the history. This applies to doctrine and creed as much as anything else of course, so we lose knowledge of the arguments and divisions that occurred when these things that have been received into Christian culture as sacrosanct were debated. Maybe some of the objections had some validity, maybe some of my objections to the way things are nowadays are simply a re-hash of centuries old objections. In fact I'm pretty convinced that is so. The thing is the church survives the centuries despite terrible mistakes. I guess my emphasis must be on trying to discern what form that church will take in the years to come and to find my part in that. I'm trying to hang on in there, folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home