Monday, July 18, 2005

What I know

Some reading this title will be expecting a very short post. I'm not sure how long it'll be, that's why I'm posting it.
One thing I know is that the older I get, the less sure I am of things. At one time or another in my younger days I have been sure of most things. Often I've been sure of the opposite of that of which I was previously sure. (That sentence is a logistical nightmare). I'm now in a state where I'm happy not to know things. It's much nicer because you don't have to be right all the time and it means you can be surprised. Being surprised is fun, and you can be surprised by an idea. The idea doesn't have to be right, it just needs to be worth thinking about. You don't need to think about it until you get the right answer, just until it stops being fun.
Here are some of the things I'm sure about. I don't know if I'll stop being sure of them when I'm really, really old, but I'm sure of them now:
  • There is a God.
  • God is bigger than I've ever imagined.
  • God is much kinder and nicer than I imagine.
  • I can't tell God what to do.
  • At the end of the day, God will surprise me.
  • I can't tell God how to deal with me, much less other people.
  • I feel better if I try to do good things and treat other people well.
  • Religious arguments are not worth having.
  • If you try to follow Jesus, everyone will try to stop you (especially church people).
  • Loving people is one of the few worthwhile things to do.
  • Table tennis is lots of fun.
  • Young people get a bad press, but if you get to know them they're really quite nice.
  • Getting old is no fun if your mind goes first.
There are probably other things I know but can't remember. The list gets shorter as the years go by, but at the moment I can't imagine any of the above disappearing from the list.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter - as always you're a comforting whisper in the tinnitus of certainty. Thank you for sharing what you know. I can't think of much more i can add to your list either. Although i'm less sure about Table Tennis...

1:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'know what Pete, we should have found time to play a game of table tennis when you were in Canada. I'm not sure of anything and I don't think I ever have been, but like you I almost enjoy it. Not being sure of anything really takes away the burden of expection imposed upon one by others. And like you, I am sure; no I'm Certain; No! I know!! There's a God and that's good enough for me. How was Italy? And really, you can come by for breakfast anytime.
God bless ya
Callum

11:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home